This half day course is an introductory session to raise awareness of mental health. It is designed to give:
- An understanding of what mental health is and how to challenge stigma
- A basic knowledge of some common mental health issues
- An introduction to looking after your own mental health
- Confidence to interact with someone in distress or who may be experiencing a mental health issue
- Insight into the two day course and the benefits of becoming a Mental Health First Aider
What will I learn?
The Adult MHFA awareness course is an introductory 4 hour mental health course.
By the end of the course you'll be able to:
- Define mental health and some common mental health issues
- Identify stigma and discrimination surrounding mental health issues
- Relate to people's experiences and support people in distress
- Look after your own mental health.
How will I learn?
This 4 hour session will be a mix of presentations, group interaction, and activities. Due to some of the sensitive subjects of our courses, there is a limited number of places available per course. We want everyone to feel safe and our instructors can help if people find some parts particularly difficult. Where possible we will engage service users to learn from 'lived experience'.