THIS IS A TWO DAY COURSE:
DAY ONE: Wednesday 25th January
DAY TWO: Wednesday 15th February
Who should attend?
- Registered nurses who are new to cytology and who require training as per NHSCSP guidelines (a minimum of two days training and a clinical audit)
- Prior knowledge and experience of professional standards and delivery of patient care is required. Access to a clinical setting in order to undertake smear tests, clinical assessment by a peer mentor and audit of results is required.
What is covered? :
- NHS Cancer Screening Programme.
- HPV Triage
- Equality of Access - women with disabilities.
- Complex presentations - Female genital mutilation
- A review of some commonly presenting sexual health conditions and management in Primary care.
- Current developments in the cervical screening programme
- Changes to local screening policies and procedures.
Assessment: An audit of 20 sequential smear test results with no more than two inadequate results (i.e 18/20) to be assessed in the student’s practice by a mentor who is on the smear takers register.
Successful candidates will receive a certificate of attendance . Completion of the training programme and a positive audit result will allow the student to register with the local provider and to receive their unique smear takers code.